Czech Potato Pancakes
The Czech version of potato pancakes are bigger, crispier, and loaded with garlic!
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 5 mins
Yields: 5 pancakes
- 6 medium yellow potatoes
- 2/3 cup milk, hot
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp marjoram
- 1 tsp salt
- Lard or Canola/sunflower oil
- Peel the raw potatoes, then finely grate them with a box grater or microplane.
- Transfer the grated potatoes to a colander, then use paper towels to squeeze out the excess water. You may need to do this a few times.
- Put the squeezed potatoes in a bowl, then pour the hot milk over them. Add an egg, flour, pressed garlic, dried marjoram, and salt. Stir until combined. The mixture should have a creamy consistency.
- Warm the lard or oil in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat. Give the batter a stir before spooning a portion into the middle of the heated pan.
- Using the back of a spoon or spatula, spread the batter into a ¼ inch thick pancake that fills or nearly fills the pan.
- Fry each pancake for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the edges are golden.