German Apple Cake
Try German Apfelkuchen! This authentic German recipe is perfect for the fall season and is similar to pound cake...but with a big helping of juicy ripe apples!
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 50 mins
Total: 1 hour 15 mins
Yields: 1 cake
- 3-5 medium apples
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Then grease the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Peel, core, and quarter the apples. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until thoroughly combined. Beat in the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla until creamy.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternate mixing in the flour mixture and milk into the butter mixture until completely combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Carefully cut thin slices into each apple quarter from the outer part toward the center several times without cutting all the way through. The apple slices will separate from each other while the cake bakes. Arrange the sliced apple quarters on top of the batter.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to fully cool, then remove the cake from the pan.
- Gently sprinkle powdered sugar to garnish and enjoy!