Perník Spice Cake
Warm Czech spices, warm fluffy cake, and a swirl of fruit jam.
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Total: 55 mins
Yields: 12 pieces
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable
- 1 1/2 cups milk, lukewarm
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 tsp aniseed
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup jam (we recommend plum, but any flavor will work.)
- Preheat oven to 340°F. Grease a deep 12x14-inch baking dish with butter and dust it with a layer of flour.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes until light and foamy.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder.
- Slowly add the flour, milk, and oil to the egg mixture. Beat slowly until combined, then stir in the spices.
- Pour the gingerbread batter into the prepared baking dish and use a spatula to level the surface.
- Warm the jam in a saucepan until it has loosened up a bit. Then use a spoon to swirl the jam into the batter. Add as much or as little as you’d like.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.