It’s easy enough to get the German restaurant staples, which is why this month we wanted to do things a bit differently with some traditional homestyle cooking! And there’s no better go-to than this easy recipe for breaded pork chops, just like Oma used to make! It may seem simple at first, but once you take a bite of these juicy, savory, butter-y chops, you’ll be shouting “lecker!”
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Total: 35 mins
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups bread crumbs
- ¾ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Butter for frying (at least 2 tbsp)
- 4 pork chops, 1-inch thick and trimmed
- Beat the egg with 1 tbsp water in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs and seasoned salt in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large flat-bottomed frying pan over high heat.
- While the pan heats up, first dredge the pork chops in the bread crumb mixture, then dip in the egg mixture, then re-coat with more bread crumbs.
- Carefully place each pork chop into the frying pan. Add extra butter if it no longer coats the bottom of the pan.
- Flip the chops when nicely browned on one side, about 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the frying pan, then lower heat to medium low. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until browned. Turn once or twice during cooking. Time may vary depending on size.
- Transfer the fried pork chops to a plate lined with paper towels before serving.